Peruse Bible teachings and church happenings
“A Checklist for Sundays”Categories: church, discipleship, Midweek FR articles, worship
Checklists help pilots safely run takeoffs and landings, they help wedding planners see to every detail of their events, and they help tax pros cross every t and dot every i on our returns so that we don’t have to pay any more than is absolutely necessary. They just help us to make sure that we are completely engaged with what we’re doing; ideally preventing us from missing an important component of an important activity.
So, here’s a checklist to help us with Sundays. Here are a few reminders that can help us make the most of this important part of life.
Before church time:
- Pray. Pray for God to help us truly worship and truly learn.
- Read. Open your mind and your Bible to hear God speak. Look ahead at Bible class materials and be ready to participate in classes (and make sure your kids do so too).
- Give. Purpose ahead of time how much you will give to the work, remembering what it’s for: Helping needy saints and supporting the eternally important work of preaching.
At a service:
- Introduce yourself to a new member or a guest.
- Encourage someone who led part of the worship service.
- Talk to a kid or a senior saint who might otherwise be overlooked.
- Encourage an elder and/or a deacon.
- Invite someone to share a meal with you — either at your house or out at a restaurant.
- Look at the lobby board and find a way that you can volunteer or help.
Imagine if we all did these things every Sunday. How would our relationships with each other and our love for God be better?
Let’s find out :)
- Dan Lankford, minister. Special thanks to my wife, Kaitlin, for providing the main idea of this post.